LIGHT IT INTO EXISTENCE TM
From Rushed to Rested: 5 Tips for Using Scented Candles for Relaxation
A Guide to Scents and Best Practices
70% of Americans report feeling “rushed” or “behind schedule” every single day. Does this tension feel familiar to you?
Feeling rushed or behind schedule can harm our physical and mental health. Chronic stress and fatigue can lead to headaches, anxiety, digestive issues, a weakened immune system, and even heart disease. And that doesn’t even include the adverse compound effects of not getting enough sleep, exercising, and eating a healthy diet.
But you get it.
This cycle of stress may already be your lived experience, and there’s hope.
When your demanding schedule leaves you wondering why there’s never enough time, and when you finally make the time to relax, you can’t seem to quiet your mind, cue the candles.
Candles for relaxation can be a tool to combat external stressors, shift energy, and mute distractions, helping you segue from a busy day into ‘me time.’
Here’s everything you need to know about candles for relaxation (or skip ahead to the five tips):
PERSONAL OR CORPORATE GIFTING
Here’s 5 reasons why a candle gift set makes the perfect gift:
The Power of Scented Candles for Relaxation
Whether you’re winding down after a long day or trying to create a peaceful atmosphere in your home, scented candles can be a powerful tool for relaxation.
The very presence of a candle yields peace.
From the soothing, soft-flickering glow of a candle flame to the unique golden shimmer in a sensory candle and the aroma of a scented candle, these cues increase feelings of calm and well-being.
What is relaxation?
Relaxation is a state of physical and mental rest characterized by reduced physical and emotional tension. You can induce relaxation through deep breathing, meditation, yoga, and massage.
The beauty of candles for relaxation is that they can set the stage for all those activities. Or the candle can be the hero (without activities) and still be a gentle but powerful force that transports you to a state of relaxation.
🎁 SHOP TRIO SETS 🎁
The Science of Scent and Relaxation
Our sense of smell correlates to our emotions and memories, which is why certain scents can strongly impact our mood and well-being.
This phenomenon is because when we inhale a scented candle’s aroma, the scent molecules are absorbed by our olfactory bulb, which is a part of our brain closely connected to our limbic system, which controls our emotions and memories.
Here are three scents that have a relaxing effect on the body and mind:
- Lavender: This familiar and popular scent has a relaxing and calming effect on the body and mind. Lavender has been used for centuries to reduce stress, anxiety, and insomnia. Consider this soothing lavender & rose-scented candle ›
- Bergamot: This citrusy scent is believed to have a soothing and uplifting effect on the mind and is often used in aromatherapy to help reduce stress and improve mood. Consider this bergamot & sage-scented candle ›
- Frankincense: This deep, woodsy scent has been used for centuries in spiritual and medicinal practices. It has a calming and grounding effect on the mind. Consider this fig & frankincense-scented candle ›
In addition to the relaxing effects of each specific scent, lighting a candle and taking a few deep breaths can help slow down our body’s natural stress response. The warm glow of the candle flame and the soothing aroma can create a sense of calm and well-being, making it easier to relax and unwind.
Choosing the Right Scented Candle for Relaxation
Here are a few best practices for candle use during meditation:
With so many scents to choose from, it can be overwhelming to decide which scented candle is best for relaxation. Here are a few tips to help you narrow down your choices:
- Consider your personal preferences: What scents do you find most relaxing? Some people may find the lavender scent calming, while others may prefer sandalwood’s earthy, woodsy aroma. But trust your instincts. Choose a scent that you find soothing.
- Experiment with different scents: Don’t be afraid to try out a few different scents to see which ones work best for you. You may find that you prefer a blend of several scents—don’t be afraid to light two scented candles at once! You might also find that a specific scent works better for relaxation in the evening than in the morning.
5 Tips for Using Scented Candles for Relaxation
Now that you’ve learned the power and science of scented candles for relaxation and chosen the perfect scented candle for you, it’s time to put it to use.
Here are five tips for getting the most out of your relaxing candle experience:
- Create comfort: Set up a relaxing space for your mind and body. Dim the lights. Play soothing music. And arrange a comfortable place for you to sit or lie down.
- Practice deep breathing: Take a few deep breaths as you light your candle. Allow 15-20 minutes for the aroma to infuse your space. All while you inhale and exhale deeply to relax and let go of any stress or tension.
- Create a routine: Use your scented candle as part of a “relaxation routine.” Incorporate it into a sequence, such as taking a warm bath or doing some gentle stretching before a 10-minute meditation or reading.
- Drink tea: Engage your senses with the herbal taste of tea that hits your taste buds while the relaxing aroma of a candle hits your nose. Bonus points for a wooden wick candle versus a cotton wick candle because the wooden wick candle will have an ambient crackling sound, like a tiny campfire. Tea, campfire, and candles. Say less. Enjoy your rest! Consider our favorite teas from, Art of Tea, based in California.
- Stimulate your mind: Relaxation doesn’t always mean a complete brain shutdown. Consider puzzles or a word search as a fun activity to help you unwind as the scented candle infuses your space.
You might also ask:
Are scented candles safe to use?
Scented candles are safe as long as you follow proper candle safety rules. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use caution when lighting any candle. Keep candles away from drafts, unstable surfaces, and flammable materials; never leave your lit candle unattended.
What are the best scents for stress relief?
Different scents can affect the body and mind differently, and what works for one person may not work for another. But some scents that are commonly associated with relaxation and stress relief include lavender, frankincense, bergamot, sandalwood, and jasmine.
Experiment with different scents to see what works best for you, and consider a scented candle composed of varying scent notes as a layered fragrance. A high-quality scented candle can offer a scent experience with depth.
Which is better: an essential oil diffuser versus candles for relaxation?
An essential oil diffuser may force you to select one essential oil or to blend essential oils on your own. But, a high-quality scented candle, as we handcraft at Spoken Flames, offers a sophisticated and professionally-crafted fragrance experience with several scent notes composed.
Proverbially, it’s the difference between enjoying one musical note or the whole song.
A Spoken Flames candle is made with an all-natural coconut wax blend with phthalate-free essential & fragrance oil blends. A clean candle adds ambiance with its flame and depth with a layered scent.
In comparison, an essential oil diffuser can fall flat. But to each their own! The goal is relaxation; as we’ve explored in this article, you can achieve relaxation in more than one way.
How do I use candles for relaxation?
There are many ways to use scented candles for relaxation. Some ideas include: lighting a candle in the evening to create a soothing atmosphere before bed; incorporating a candle into a relaxation routine such as a warm bath or gentle stretching; or simply taking a few deep breaths and focusing on the candle’s scent as a way to unwind after a long day.
From Rushed to Rested: A Summary of Candles for Relaxation
Scented candles can be a powerful tool for relaxation and stress relief. By choosing the right scent and incorporating them into a relaxation routine, you can create a sense of calm, rest, and well-being. Just be sure to use your candles responsibly and replace or upcycle your candle jar when they’re finished. And kiss the stress of the rush goodbye.
6. Candles can help increase focus in a work from home environment
The rise in WFH and remote work means our workspaces are full of comforts—and distractions. But why would anyone light a candle at their work desk? To keep those distractions at bay. From chatty co-workers (albeit via Slack) to social media, candles are a thoughtful corporate gift that can help us focus and create space for us to do our best work.
Consider it a productivity hack. 💡
The presence of a candle flame can set a calming mood. Wooden wick candles in particular have a unique soft-crackling sound, which can serve as natural and relaxing ambient sound in one’s space. Plus, select scent profiles, like citrus, woody or a floral scent of a scented candle can influence physiological responses that help keep the mind on track.
7. Candles can be an environmentally responsible gift choice
First, it‘s a candle, next it’s their favorite whiskey glass. 🥃
Depending on the candle’s vessel, most candle jars can be upcycled after the burn cycle of the candle. It can be used as storage, glassware and more, so you can feel good knowing that your gift will keep on giving! And your candle gift (once upcycled) can be a pleasant reminder, if not a conversation piece in their home, of your thoughtfulness.
A candle gift set solves my gifting needs—but wait! I don’t know what candle scent they may like 😟
Bonus tip: How to pick a candle scent for a gift
So a candle gift set meets your needs, but you’re not sure what scents they like 😟 Pro tip: consider an unscented candle or a gift set that offers a variety of scents.
The unique thing about Spoken Flames’ Trio Sets is that each candle gift set has a variety of scents with great range—from woody, citrus and floral in our F, Yes Collection, for example.
Your gift recipient would never get bored, and it increases your chances for satisfaction with a broad range of scents in their hands.
Because Spoken Flames candles are message-driven, our motivating candle statements (even without scent) mean that you’ll still win big with this meaningful gifting choice!
Best Scented Candles for Relaxation
Join over 5,000 readers!
Was this helpful? Then join over 5,000 readers who receive valuable wellness, motivation, and lifestyle content just like this. Plus, get $5 towards your first Spoken Flames candle.